The Toxics Release Inventory (TRI)
Currently, industrial facilities from manufacturing and certain other sectors must report to TRI on over 600 chemicals and chemical compounds if the given facility manufactures, processes, or otherwise uses a listed chemical in quantities greater than the reporting threshold quantity and has ten or more full-time equivalent employees.
TRI data are reported annually by facilities for each individually listed chemical. Information reported by facilities includes:
• Facility identification information (including the facility’s name, location, industrial sector, and parent company);
• Activities and uses of the toxic chemical at the facility;
• Maximum amount of the toxic chemical on site;
• Quantity of the toxic chemical entering the environmental medium;
• Transfers of the toxic chemical in waste to off-site locations;
• On-site waste treatment, energy recovery processes, and recycling processes; and
• Source reduction and recycling activities.