State and Local Air Quality
Awareness Week Activities
- Bakersfield - The Clean Green Yard Machines lawnmower
trade-in program will be held
Saturday, May 20. The San Joaquin Valley Air Pollution Control District
also plans trade-ins the following weeks in Visalia, Fresno, Merced
and Stockton. For more information, visit the
" What's New" section at www.valleyair.org.
- Fresno - A one-day air quality research symposium
"How Science is Charting a Path to Cleaner Air," will be held
on May 17. The symposium is sponsored by the San Joaquin Valley Air
Pollution Control District, the California Air Resources Board and the
Central California Air Quality Studies Government-Private Sector Partnership.
For more information, go to www.valleyair.org.
- Fresno - Fresno Area Express is partnering with the
Fresno County Bicycle Coalition
to encourage people to ride their bicycles to work by offering free
for cyclists on Bike To Work Day
on Friday, May 19.
- Modesto - The
City of Modesto's Bike to Work Day is Thursday, May 18. The event
offers bicycling commuters a free continental breakfast, prizes and
escort through downtown Modesto.
- The Western Regional Air Partnership is hosting a Diesel
Bootcamp May 16-17 in Denver.
- The Regional Air Quality Council is hosting Car
Care Fairs Saturday, May 13 and May 20 to provide free vehicle inspections
to motorists in hopes of raising awareness about the link between a
well maintained vehicle and ozone pollution.
- The Regional Air Quality Council is hosting a Mow
Down Pollution lawnmower exchange to recycle old gasoline-powered
equipment in exchange for $150 off a cordless electric model.
- The NC Division of Air Quality published "The Road to Clean
Air," (PDF) a 12-page newspaper insert complete with poster, "air
I.Q" test, and other air quality information.
The Road to Clean Air (PDF 2MB) EPA's
PDF page provides information on downloading the software.
Air Day for the Air Quality Management Division of the District
Health Department in Washoe County is May 21st.
- Austin - The CLEAN AIR Force of Central Texas is
hosting their 5th Annual Electric Lawnmower Discount Program which offers
discounts on either a Neuton Mower or any model of Black & Decker
electric mower and encourages recycling of older gas powered mowers.
For more information, visit www.cleanairforce.org.
- The Spokane County Air Pollution Control Authority (SCAPCA) is sponsoring
their second annual Asthma Walk on May 20th, and is celebrating Clean
Air Month at Mobius Kids. More information can be found at www.scapca.org
under "News Articles."
- Join the Wisconsin Partners for Clean Air and the Wisconsin Department
of Natural Resources at the Clean
Air Extravaganza in Milwaukee on Thursday, May 25th.