WaterSense Webinar Training Series
WaterSense and ENERGY STAR are teaming up to host a series of webinars in 2016 to help all commercial and institutional facilities start tackling their water use. Each webinar will cover ways to save water, energy, and money by making changes within different areas of a facility.
- Learn more about the 2016 WaterSense and ENERGY STAR webinar series.
In 2015, WaterSense hosted a series of seven webinars to help U.S. Department of Housing and Urban Development (HUD) project officers and HUD grantees incorporate water efficiency into their multifamily and affordable housing programs and projects. Webinars featured guest speakers and case studies.
In 2014 and 2015, WaterSense recorded two series of technical and outreach webinars as part of the H2Otel Challenge. View past recorded webinars to find out how hotels can assess, change, and track their water using the links below:
- Take the Plunge! Introducing the WaterSense H2Otel Challenge
- A for Assess: Conducting a Water Assessment and Using WaterSense’s WaterUSE Tool
- A for Assess: Setting Goals and Developing a Water Management Plan
- C for Change: Implementing Your Water Management Plan and Other Best Management Practices
- T for Track: Tracking Water Savings and Recognizing Success
- WaterSense H2Otel Challenge 2014 Highlights and 2015 Preview
- Assess, Track, and Realize Payback
- Demonstrating WaterSense's WaterUSE Tool
- Washing 101: A Plumbing and Laundry Efficiency Primer
- Make a Splash With Outdoor Water Savings
- Minimize Water Use in Mechanical/HVAC Systems
- What's Cooking: Commercial Kitchen Savings
- Let's Talk About Education and Outreach
WaterSense has also presented on a number of other webinars for commercial and institutional audiences:
- The Energy-Water Nexus: Using ENERGY STAR and WaterSense to Maximize Results
- Water-Saving Strategies for Commercial Buildings
- Water: Benchmarking and Best Practices from WaterSense
- Water–Saving Strategies for Commercial Buildings
- Overflowing Value: Best Practices to Save Water and Money
- Reducing Your Water Footprint
2015 H2Otel Challenge Webinar Series
Are you ready to save water, energy, and operating costs at your hotel? WaterSense walks through the basics of the H2Otel Challenge, from getting a handle on your hotel's water use to putting best management practices to work for your bottom line. This introductory webinar familiarizes participants with the available technical and outreach tools EPA has developed as part of the Challenge. Hotel operators and facility managers will learn how to make the most of EPA's free resources to ACT: assess, change, and track water use in the hospitality sector. After this webinar, you'll be ready to take the plunge into savings for your hotel!
Learn how to conduct a facility water assessment, one of the most important steps in water management planning. WaterSense also demonstrates its Water Use and Savings Evaluation (WaterUSE) Tool. The WaterUSE Tool uses information collected during a facility water assessment to identify potential water-saving projects and operational best management practices for hotels. It estimates water, energy, and cost savings for identified projects to help hotels create a prioritized project list. Following this training session, participants will be ready to take the first step in managing their facility water use.
- Guest Speaker: Arnold Solognier, Sustainability and Certification Manager, Bucuti and Tara Beach Resorts, Aruba (Case study begins at 1:15:50 in the recording)
Find out how to take the information collected during a facility assessment to establish water use reduction goals and develop a water management plan. A water management plan helps facilities stay on track with projects, reduction goals, and water, energy, and operational cost savings. Following this webinar, you’ll be ready to prepare your water management plan by incorporating realistic goals—which is the next step in managing and reducing your water use.
- Guest Speaker: Kara Pho, Program Manager, New York City Department of Environmental Protection (Case study begins at 1:01:29)
Discover some of the most cost-effective projects and biggest water savers that can be implemented at your facility. WaterSense provides an overview of water-efficient operating procedures, retrofits, and replacements in private use restrooms, public restrooms, commercial kitchens, mechanical spaces, and outdoor landscapes. Following this webinar, participants should come away with new ideas and more details about water-saving projects to implement at their facility.
- Guest Speaker: Rodney Schauf, Director of Engineering, Sheraton Seattle Hotel (Case Study begins at 1:09:52)
Learn how to track your facility’s ongoing water use to verify savings from implementing projects and best practices. WaterSense introduces ENERGY STAR’s Portfolio Manager, an online tool that can help facilities track water and energy use. WaterSense also provides ideas for recognizing water management achievements and spreading the word to consumers about your water savings success.
- Guest Speaker: Andrea Schnitzer, National Program Manager for EPA’s ENERGY STAR Program (Case Study begins at 39:16)
2014 H2Otel Challenge Webinar Series
Learn about WaterSense's H2Otel Challenge plans for 2015! This webinar also features highlights from 2014, including how many hotels signed up for the Challenge, the top 10 water efficiency opportunities for hotels, and an overview of the tools WaterSense created to help hotels save water.
Learn the seven steps to water management planning: making a commitment; assessing facility water use; setting goals; creating and implementing an action plan; evaluating progress; and recognizing achievements. Rob Morris from Caesars Entertainment describes how assessing water use and implementing projects have saved water and operating costs.
- Guest Speaker: Rob Morris, Corporate Manager, Utilities & Engineering, Caesars Entertainment Corporation (Case study begins at 57:22 in the recording)
Learn how to use WaterSense's Water Use and Savings Evaluation (WaterUSE) Tool and associated Water Assessment Worksheets, which were designed to help hotel operators and facility managers identify and prioritize cost–effective water efficiency projects and best management practices to reduce water and energy use and save money. The webinar also features a discussion about the water use tracking capabilities of ENERGY STAR®'s Portfolio Manager® tool.
Learn operations and maintenance tips, retrofit options, and replacements that can help reduce water use in restrooms, guest rooms, and laundries. Brandon Leister from San Antonio Water System discusses plumbing and laundry projects completed at three local hotels as part of its WaterSaver Hotel program.
- Guest Speaker: Brandon Leister, Conservation Planner, San Antonio Water System (Case study begins at 38:21 in the recording)
Learn how to design and maintain hotel landscapes to reduce water use and how to manage pools to reduce water loss from evaporation, filter cleaning, mineral buildup, leaks, and splashing. Richard Restuccia from ValleyCrest Companies, Inc. presents a case study on landscape and irrigation improvements at the Resort at Pelican Hill in Newport Beach, California, to illustrate how making changes outdoors can result in significant hotel water savings.
- Guest Speaker: Richard Restuccia, Director of Water Management Solutions, ValleyCrest Companies, Inc. (Case study begins at 37:47 in the recording)
Learn how to use water efficiently in cooling towers and steam boilers, optimize chilled water systems, and address equipment that is using single–pass cooling water. Randy Childers from Hyatt Regency Atlanta discusses how his hotel increased its cooling tower cycles of concentration, began using air handler condensate as make–up water, replaced water–cooled equipment with air–cooled models, and implemented other best practices in its mechanical systems.
- Guest Speaker: Randy Childers, Senior Director of Engineering, Hyatt Regency Atlanta (Case study begins at 50:00 in the recording)
Learn how to identify water–savings potential for commercial kitchen equipment, including dishwashers, ice machines, pre–rinse spray valves, food disposals, and steam cooking equipment. WaterSense discusses operations and maintenance techniques, retrofit options, and replacement options for each equipment type. Ray Dennis from Lair Marketplace at Loyola Marymount University describes the water and energy savings initiatives implemented in his establishment.
- Guest Speaker: Ray Dennis, Associate Vice President Auxiliary Management/Business Services, Loyola Marymount University (Case study begins at 37:00 in the recording)
This training reminds you how important it is to educate employees, guests, and management about your water-saving efforts, from reporting leaks to changing wasteful practices. WaterSense addresses some of the best management practices hotels have used for education and outreach including educating employees to make changes in daily operations, communicating with guests, and making the most out of signage. Dr. Wesley Schultz from California State University, San Marcos, summarizes his work on social norms and the potential for behavioral changes among hotel guests, and Alec Bartolai from Kalaloch Lodge in Forks, Washington, presents an informative case study on education and outreach initiatives at his hotel.
- Guest Speakers: Dr. Wesley Schultz, Professor of Psychology, California State University, San Marcos; and Alec Bartolai, Environmental, Health, Safety, and Interpretive Manager, Kalaloch Lodge (Case study begins at 31:46 in the recording)
Other WaterSense Commercial and Institutional Webinars
As the U.S. experiences an increase in drought conditions, businesses are becoming more aware of the need to manage water efficiency. Learn why water efficiency matters to you, and about how good energy and water management practices are often complementary. The webinar will also detail opportunities for improving water efficiency, and provide an overview of key EPA ENERGY STAR® and WaterSense® resources, including best management practices and water and energy efficient products.
- Presented on June 16, 2015 by Tara O’Hare and Andrea Schnitzer, EPA
A CI water efficiency primer as part of the BUILDINGS VIP Smart Sustainability Series. The webinar covers CI facility water management planning, water efficiency BMPs for CI facilities, and real-world case studies.
- Presented on June 4, 2015 by Robert Pickering, ERG
Organizations can track their facilities’ water use along with energy use in Portfolio Manager to increase efficiency and improve performance. This webinar features the water management tools in Portfolio Manager and gives an overview of water trends in the thousands of facilities across the country. The WaterSense program also discusses ways to save water and energy with WaterSense labeled products and best management practices. Finally, examples and case studies detail improvements made in facilities and lessons learned along the way.
- Presented on November 20, 2013 by Cindy Jacobs and Tara O’Hare, EPA
This webinar, part of the Buildings magazine VIP series, covers best practices for water management and illustrate them with real-world case studies.
- Presented on February 25, 2013 by Presented by Joanna Kind and Holly Cannon, ERG
This webinar provided participants in the ENERGY STAR National Buildings Competition with information on how to save water.
- Presented on November 7, 2012 by Tara O'Hare and Alena Hutchinson, EPA
As part of the Federal Green Challenge, this webinar covers stormwater management, BMPs for CI facilities, tips for saving water, and a case study on water management and efficiency initiatives that have been performed for the Army’s Net Zero Water pilot installations.
- Presented on September 27, 2012 by Tara O’Hare, EPA, and Kate McMordie Stoughton and Brian Boyd, Pacific Northwest National Laboratory.