Hotel Tools & Training
WaterSense offers a number of helpful tools to assist hotels in assessing, changing, and tracking their water use. After you sign up for the H2Otel Challenge, use these tools to help you get started:
- Water Use and Savings Evaluation Tool (WaterUSE Tool) and Water Assessment Worksheets
- Technical and Outreach Webinars
- Best Management Practices
- Case Studies
- Saving Water in Hotels Fact Sheet
- Participant Recognition Tools
WaterUSE Tool and Water Assessment Worksheets
Hotel operators and facility managers can use WaterSense's WaterUSE Tool and associated Water Assessment Worksheets to identify and prioritize cost–effective water efficiency projects and best management practices to reduce water and energy use and save on operating costs. First, users should use the worksheets to guide them through a water assessment (e.g., tour or walk–through) of their hotel. The worksheets, which can either be printed and manually filled out or completed on re-writable PDF on a computer or tablet, will help capture information about water–using fixtures and equipment needed to populate the WaterUSE Tool and provide instructions and guidance about the fields in the tool. Based on facility–specific inputs entered by the user, the WaterUSE Tool provides recommended best management practices and calculates potential water and cost savings for water–saving projects. Download and use the WaterUSE Tool and Water Assessment Worksheets, and view a recorded webinar demonstration of the tool for new users:
- WaterSense's WaterUSE Tool Version 1.2 (XLS, 1.01MB)
- Re–writable WaterUSE Tool Water Assessment Worksheets (re-writable PDF version for use on Windows computers and tablets) (35 pg, 3.36MB, About PDF)
- WaterUSE Tool Water Assessment Worksheets (printable PDF version for manual entry) (35 pg, 501K, About PDF)
- "Demonstrating WaterSense's WaterUSE Tool" webinar
Send an email to the helpline to be contacted when new updates are available.
Technical and Outreach Webinars
In 2014, WaterSense hosted a series of training webinars about hotel water efficiency best management practices. Each webinar featured a guest speaker who implemented best practices at a hotel or similar facility. All of the webinars were recorded and posted with closed captioning for future listening. Beginning in February 2015, WaterSense is hosting additional webinars to help hotels assess, change, and track their water use. Sign up for the H2Otel Challenge to receive information when new webinar registration links are available.
Best Management Practices
WaterSense developed WaterSense at Work, a compilation of water efficiency best management practices, to help commercial and institutional facilities understand and better manage their water use, establish an effective water management program, and identify projects and practices that can reduce facility water use. Many of the best management practices can be applied in hotels.
- WaterSense at Work: Best Management Practices Commercial and Institutional Facilities (308 pg, 5.38MB, About PDF)
WaterSense created case studies to document the water, energy, and cost savings successes demonstrated by hotels around the country. Please visit our Case Studies page to review hotel water efficiency case studies on education and outreach, mechanical systems, outdoor water use, sanitary fixtures and equipment, and water monitoring and management. If you sign up for the H2Otel Challenge, you will receive an email when new hotel case studies are posted.
Saving Water in Hotels Fact Sheet
The following fact sheet provides some quick tips for saving water in hotels:
Participant Recognition Tools
Hotels that have signed up for the Challenge (9 pg, 235K, About PDF) will receive the following outreach and recognition tools to promote participation in the H2Otel Challenge. These tools will be distributed by email after the hotel has signed up:
- Participant logo
- Signed certificate of participation
- Sample press release language
- Sample website and in–room language
- Monthly emails with water savings tips