Kalamazoo River Superfund Project
- EPA ID# MID006007306
- Allied Paper, Inc.
- Portage Creek
- Kalamazoo River
Community Involvement Coordinator
Diane Russell (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Backup Community Involvement Coordinator
Cheryl Allen (email@example.com)
312-353-6196 or 800-621-8431, ext. 36196
Remedial Project Manager
Michael Berkoff - landfills
Sheila Desai - mills
312-353-8360 or 800-621-8431 ext. 38360
(where to view written records)
Kalamazoo Public Library
315 South Rose
Western Michigan University
1903 West Michigan Avenue
Charles Ransom Library
180 South Sherwood
Allegan Public Library
331 Hubbard Street
Otsego District Library
219 South Farmer Street
10 Mixer Street
Michigan Department of Community Health's fish advisory
Kalamazoo River Watershed Council
Kalamazoo River Watershed Council
Dr. Stephen K. Hamilton, hamilton@Ks.msu.edu, 269-671-2231
Kalamazoo River Environment Natural Resource Damage Assessment - U.S. Fish & Wildlife Service
See also Allied Paper Landfill/Bryant Mill Pond Area, Kalamazoo, Mich
EPA has assumed responsibility for a Superfund cleanup on the Kalamazoo River. The Allied Paper Inc./Portage Creek/Kalamazoo River Superfund Site, referred to here as the Kalamazoo River Superfund Project, stretches 80-miles from Saugatuck on the west to about 10 miles east of Battle Creek, near Sunrise Heights. (more...)
Sign up for the Kalamazoo River listserv
It's a subscription-based email list that EPA uses to deliver news about this site.
EPA and Michigan Department of Environmental Quality have several updates for the Kalamazoo River. The map below shows the areas (called "operable units" or OUs) where updates are available. Below the map is a summary on the status of each of the areas.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Allied Landfill (OU1)
EPA plans to clean up contaminated material at Allied Paper Landfill, a former landfill in part of the Allied Paper/Portage Creek/Kalamazoo River Superfund Site called Operable Unit 1. The plan details EPA recommended cleanup options which include consolidating and capping material containing PCBs and other contaminants, and installing a groundwater monitoring network. Areas of the former landfill would be available for future reuse and redevelopment.
Find out more about the plan by reading Allied Landfill Proposed Plan Fact Sheet, Frequently Asked Questions, Proposed Plan and Proposed Plan Tables.
- EPA Proposes Cleanup Plan for Allied Paper Landfill Fact Sheet (PDF) (8pp, 463K) September 2015
- La EPA propone plan para limpiar el vertedero de Allied Paper (PDF) (8pp, 480K) September 2015
- Proposed Plan for OU1 (PDF) (64pp, 21MB) September 2015
- Allied Paper FAQs (PDF) (3pp, 1.9MB) September 2015
There will be a 60-day public comment period from Sept. 30 – Dec. 1, 2015.
EPA will hold a public meeting:
Thursday, November 19, at 6:00 p.m.
Washington Writers’ Academy Cafeteria
1919 Portage St.
EPA representatives will present details of the plan and oral comments will be accepted and recorded by a court reporter.
EPA will also be available to answer questions and participate in a discussion with the public at two Community Roundtable events:
- Thursday, Oct. 15, 6 p.m. at the Washington Writers’ Academy or
- Thursday, Oct. 22, 6 p.m. at the Hispanic American Council, St. Joseph Parish Gymnasium, 930 Lake St., Kalamazoo. A translator will be available for Spanish-speaking members of the community.
Kalamazoo River Area 1 of OU5
EPA has approved a plan for cleaning up PCB contamination within Area 1 of the Kalamazoo River (from Morrow dam to the former Plainwell dam) and 3 miles of Portage Creek.
- Area 1 OU5 Record of Decision (PDF) (144pp, 6.5MB) Sept. 2015
The objectives of the cleanup are to remove PCB contaminated sediment from 5 areas within the river and the Crown Vantage side channel, and excavate and cap 7 acres of soil within the former Plainwell Impoundment. Long-term monitoring, engineering and land-use controls will make sure cleanup is effective and fish consumption advisories will continue.
The cleanup will protect people and the environment, provide long-term effectiveness and comply with state and federal environmental regulations. It can be implemented and is cost-effective. The estimated cost is $23.4 million.
Plainwell Mill (OU7)
EPA has approved a plan for cleaning up soil contamination at Plainwell Mill.
- Plainwell Mill OU7 Record of Decision (PDF) (119pp, 8.3MB)Sept. 2015
The objectives of the cleanup are to remove contaminated soil, replace it with clean soil and restore the ground. Engineering and land-use controls will make sure cleanup is effective.
The cleanup will protect people and the environment, provide long-term effectiveness and comply with state and federal environmental regulations. It can be implemented and is cost-effective. The estimated cost is $4.3 million.
- Area 1 Proposed Plan slide presentation (PDF) (32 pp , 5.2 MB) May 18, 2015
- Portage Creek Pollution reports - October 2011 - July 2014
- Kalamazoo Mill Source Report, Final (PDF) (226 pp, 44 MB) June 2009
- Final Report Peer Review of Michigan State University's PCB Exposure and Effects Studies in the Floodplain of the Kalamazoo River (PDF) (91 pp, 719 K) December 2008
- Allied Paper, Inc. Operable Unit Remedial Investigation Report - March 2008 - report text only (PDF) (175pp, 3.0MB)
- Note: The full report is very large: 403 pp and 121 MB. It is available at the repositories listed on this page. You can also request the full report on CD from Michael Berkoff (firstname.lastname@example.org), 312-353-8983
- Second five-year review part one (PDF) (142pp, 12.3MB) October 2012
- Second five-year review part two (PDF) (157pp, 8.89MB) October 2012
- First five-year review report (PDF) (174 pp, 10.7 MB) October 2007
- US memorandum in support of proposed settlement agreement (PDF) (58pp, 125K) April 22, 2010
in support of debtors’ motion... to approve settlement agreement among the debtors, the environmental custodial trust trustee, the United States, and certain state environmental agencies concerning Lyondell Chemical Company, et al.
- Agreement and Order on Consent (AOC), Plainwell Dam #2 (PDF) (61pp, 2.6MB) June 2009
- Administrative Settlement Agreement and Order on Consent for Plainwell Impoundment Removal (PDF) (63pp, 321K) February 2007 - includes Appendix 1: Action Memorandum
- Settlement Agreement for Supplemental Remedial Investigation/ Feasibility Study (PDF) (37pp, 4MB) February 2007
- Attachment A - Statement of Work (PDF) (36pp, 328K)
- Attachment B - Site Map (PDF) (1pg, 132K)
- Attachment C - SRI/FS Work Plan: Morrow Dam to Plainwell (PDF) (51pp, 1MB)
- Figures 3-2 to 3-11 (PDF) (10pp, 11" x 17", 16.1MB)
- Willow Boulevard Record of Decision (PDF) (76pp, 5.2MB) September 2006