Pacific Southwest, Region 9
Serving: Arizona, California, Hawaii, Nevada, Pacific Islands, Tribal Nations
Objectives and Targets
Significant Aspect: Air Emissions
Region 9 Policy on Carbon Neutrality and Zero Waste
The Region 9 Office has set two new sustainability goals: to achieve carbon neutrality and zero-waste to landfill by January 1, 2012. Region 9 Policy on Carbon Neutrality and Zero Waste (2 pp, 266K)
Reduce the environmental impact of our business travel and commuting practices.
- Implement R9 Green Transportation Plan through staff outreach and lowering barriers to using remote access technologies and greener vehicles.
Significant Aspect: Energy Use
Reduce EPA energy use.
- Install energy efficient lighting system (anticipate 15-35% lighting power reduction from LEED baseline) by December 31, 2015.
- Obtain Renewable Energy Certificates (RECs) to mitigate Region 9 Fiscal Year 2015 energy purchases by September 30, 2014.
- Building Management System (BMS), to display real time energy use in conference center lobby by December 31, 2015.
Significant Aspect: Material Use (Paper Use)
Reduce paper use.
- Explore feasibility of using Print Manager software for more effective paper use tracking by September 30, 2014.
Region 9 Green Meetings
and Conference Policy
This policy (PDF) (32 pp, 691K), originally implemented on December 23, 2009, and updated on November 16, 2011, aims to reduce the environmental footprint of Region 9 conferences and meetings.
Questions? Contact Region 9 Green Meetings (firstname.lastname@example.org)
Significant Aspect: Waste (Green Meetings)
Implement the Region 9 Green Conference and Meeting Policy (GMP) (PDF) (32 pp, 691K).
Targets: (Note: All target dates are December 31, 2015)
- Evaluate effectiveness through survey to all who use first floor conference rooms.
- Create database of sustainability capabilities of hotels used.
Significant Aspect: Waste (Purchasing Green Products)
Improve regional purchasing to go beyond price and performance to include environmental attributes.
- Finalize Green Procurement Plan by September 30, 2014.
- Educate 100% of new purchase card holders on EPP by December 31, 2015.
Significant Aspect: Waste (Zero Waste)
Increase / improve office composting and recycling.
- Maintain a diversion rate of at least 90% annually.
Significant Aspect: Water Use
Decrease water use.
- Integrate water efficient fixtures (40% water use reduction from LEED baseline anticipated) integrated into final renovated building by December 31, 2015.
Once Objectives and Targets are set, Environmental Management Programs are established to achieve them.