North Shore Gas (NSG) North Plant Former MGP
- Waukegan, Illinois (Lake County)
- EPA ID: #ILD984807990
- This site is not on the NPL; it is a Superfund Alternative Site (SAS)
- Superfund Site Progress Profile
North Shore Gas Plant
NSG-Coal Gasification Plant
Community Involvement Coordinator
Heriberto León (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-6163 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66163
9:30 a.m. – 5:30 p.m., weekdays
Remedial Project Manager
Rosauro Del Rosario
312-886-6195 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66195
8:30 a.m. – 4:30 p.m., weekdays
312-353-9298 or 800-621-8431, ext. 39298
(where to view written records)
Waukegan Public Library
128 N. County St.
Type of site
Integrys Energy Group (Integrys), LLC approached EPA in 2007 to address 13 former MGPs in Illinois under EPA’s Superfund Alternative Sites (SAS) program. The SAS Program takes sites that might otherwise be eligible for the National Priorities List but which will be investigated and cleaned up by a cooperative responsible party, without formally listing the site on the NPL. The North Plant Former MGP site is one of those 13 sites.
- Former manufactured gas plant (MGP) sites
- Superfund Alternative Approach
- Fact Sheet: Understanding the Superfund Alternative Approach
- Sixteen-acre site on the southeast corner of the intersection of Pershing and Dahringer Roads, in Waukegan, Lake County, Illinois.
- The North Plant MGP facility itself is owned by North Shore Gas Company, a subsidiary of Integrys Energy Group (Integrys).
- Map (PDF) (1 pp, 4MB)
The NSG North Plant site was constructed in 1912 as a gas production and storage facility and was operated as such until 1953 when gas manufacturing ceased. However, the facility continued to provide fuel, using propane air equipment, to meet peak energy demands in the area. By 1965 all operations ceased and the plant was dismantled in stages from 1966 to 1968. Historical records indicate the potential for contamination and migration of contaminants when the plant was demolished in the late 1960’s—which included the rupture of a relief holder unit which released 400,000 gallons of water, tar emulsion, and tar to the soil.
Contamination of soil at the site includes:
- polynuclear aromatic hydrocarbons (PAHs)
- volatile organic compounds (VOCs), consisting mostly of benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene (BTEX)
- chlorinated solvents
- free phase coal tar
- oily hydrocarbons
- heavy metals
Contamination of groundwater at the site includes:
- volatile organic compounds (VOCs), primarily BTEX and chlorinated solvents
- semi-volatile organic compounds (SVOCs--primarily PAHs and phenols)
- heavy metals
EPA recommends that the public not come onto the site. Potential human health risks could occur should site trespassers come into contact with contaminated soil or should contaminated ground water be used for drinking purposes.
You will need the free Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
Integrys initiated fieldwork to collect soil and groundwater samples at the site in mid-2013. Periodic collection of groundwater samples began in late 2013 and will continue for at least a year so that seasonal variations can be assessed. EPA anticipates that a draft RI report will be submitted in summer 2015 for our review and approval.
In addition to the ongoing RI work, in mid-2013 Integrys initiated a time-critical removal action at the North Plant site to remove and/or stabilize major sources of MGP contamination from or in the soil. EPA is overseeing this work. The removal action is planned to continue throughout the 2014 construction season.
- Weekly Progress Report July 28 - August 2, 2014 (PDF) (11 pp, 383K)
- Weekly Progress Report August 18 - August 23, 2014 (PDF) (10 pp, 337K)
- Weekly Progress Report June 30 - July 5, 2014 (PDF) (11 pp, 630K)
- Weekly Progress Report June 23 - June 28, 2014 (PDF) (11 pp, 359K)
- Weekly Progress Report June 16-21, 2014 (PDF) (7 pp, 665 K) June 2014
- Weekly Progress Report June 9-14, 2014 (PDF) (10 pp, 802 K) June 2014
- Weekly Progress Report June 2-7, 2014 (PDF) (7 pp, 739 K) June 2014
- Pollution Report #3 (PDF) (4pp, 206K) May 2014
- Weekly Progress Report April 14-19, 2014 (PDF) (7pp, 663K) April 2014
- Weekly Progress Report April 7-April 12, 2014 (PDF) (7pp, 712K) April 2014
- Weekly Progress Report March 31-April 5, 2014 (PDF) (7pp, 770K) April 2014
- Weekly Progress Report March 24-March 29, 2014 (PDF) (7pp, 705K) March 2014
- Weekly Progress Report March 17-March 22, 2014 (PDF) (7pp, 770K) March 2014
- Weekly Progress Report March 10-15, 2014 (PDF) (7pp, 783K) March 2014
- Weekly Progress Report March 3-8, 2014 (PDF) (7pp, 717K) March 2014
- Weekly Progress Report Feb. 24-March 1, 2014 (PDF) (7pp, 742K) March 2014
- Pollution Report #2 (PDF) (3pp, 103K) Nov. 2013
- Polution Report #1 (PDF) (3pp, 153K) June 2013
- Enforcement Action Memorandum: Determination of Threat to Public Health and or the Environment at the North Shore Gas North Plant MGP Site, Waukegan, Cook County, Illinois (PDF) (22 pp, 1.6MB) April 8, 2013
- Administrative Settlement Agreement and Order on Consent for Removal Action (PDF) (424 pp, 14.2 MB) April 2013