Midwest Generation - Crawford Station and Fisk Station Sites
Community Involvement Coordinator
Heriberto León (email@example.com)
312-886-6163 or 800-621-8431, ext. 66163 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Paul Ruesch (firstname.lastname@example.org)
312-886-7898 between 8:30 a.m. and 4:30 p.m.
Both the Fisk and Crawford Stations operated as coal-fired electric power generating stations until they shut down in August 2012. They are owned by Midwest Generation, a subsidiary of Edison International. The Fisk Station is located at 1111 W. Cermak Rd. in Chicago. The site is bordered by W. Cermak Rd. to the north, Morgan St. to the east, the Chicago River to the south; and S. Throop St. commercial properties to the west. The Fisk Station consists of buildings and power generation infrastructure in a 60-acre area.
The Crawford Station is located at 3501 S. Pulaski Rd. in Chicago. The site is bordered by railroad tracks to the north, S. Hamlin Ave. to the east, the Chicago Sanitary and Ship Canal to the south, and S. Pulaski Rd. to the west. The Crawford Station consists of buildings and power generation infrastructure in a 72-acre area.
March 2013 update
EPA found that dust levels measured around Midwest Generation’s Fisk Station and Crawford Station in December 2012 were well within both health and regulatory standards. The air monitoring determined dust concentrations around the two closed coal-fired generating stations were at levels typically found in the Chicago region. U.S. EPA also observed in December 2012 that radiation levels measured around houses near the facilities were at expected normal background concentrations and similar to those found in other Chicago residential neighborhoods.
February 2013 update
EPA evaluated the data from both the air monitoring along the perimeters of both sites and the radiation screening in surrounding neighborhoods:
- The air monitoring results did not show significant dust leaving the properties of Midwest Generation's Crawford or Fisk Stations.
- The radiation screening conducted in the Little Village and Pilsen neighborhoods found that a person walking down the street would encounter radiation levels typical of urban areas.
More details are available: Crawford-Fisk public presentation (PDF) (29 pp, 2MB) Jan. 31, 2013
December 2012 update
The perimeter air monitoring component of the testing was conducted the week of December 3, 2012 at the sites. EPA crews completed two 8-hour days of perimeter air monitoring for particulates in both calm and windy conditions at each site. Four stationary monitors were placed around the edges of the sites and a fifth monitor was mounted in a stroller (see Photo Gallery) and pushed around the sites' boundaries repeatedly throughout each day.
Additionally, radiation screening was conducted in targeted areas surrounding the sites. This work consisted of EPA staff walking up and down streets with a backpack (see Photo Gallery) containing a gamma radiation detector equipped with GPS tracking and a laptop with software capable of both storing and plotting data points.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
- Fisk Pollution Report (polrep) #2 (PDF) (5 pp, 33K) Feb. 26, 2012
- Crawford Pollution Report (polrep) #2 (PDF) (6 pp, 42K) Feb. 26, 2013
- Crawford-Fisk public presentation (PDF) (31 pp, 2MB) Jan. 31, 2013
- Crawford-Fisk letter (PDF) (31 pp, 3.9MB) Jan. 31, 2013
- Crawford Pollution Report (polrep) #1 (PDF) (4 pp, 34K) Dec. 10, 2012
- Fisk Pollution Report (polrep) #1 (PDF) (4 pp, 31K) Dec. 10, 2012
- "Air Testing Set Near Pilsen, Little Village Coal Plants" fact sheet (PDF) (2 pp, 321K) November/December 2012
- "Se examina el aire cerca de plantas de carbón en Pilsen y La Villita" fact sheet (PDF) (2 pp, 349K) November/December 2012
- Workplan to perform off-site gamma radiation screening and perimeter particulate air monitoring (PDF) (61 pp, 1.8MB) Nov. 20, 2012
- Maps showing property boundaries (PDF) (2 pp, 644K) November 2012
- Map of air monitoring and gamma radiation screen locations around Crawford Station (PDF) (1 pg, 6.1MB) November 2012
- Map of air monitoring and gamma radiation screen locations around Fisk Station (PDF) (1 pg, 6.4MB) November 2012