Genie Manufacturing Facility
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street MS 3LC20
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
VA DEQ Project Manager
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
629 East Main Street
Richmond, VA 23219
Phone: (703) 583-3825
- In 2012, The Genie Company terminated its manufacturing operations at the Facility. Equipment at the Facility was transported off-site and currently no employees of The Genie Company report to the Facility for work. Activities and personnel at the site are limited to environmental investigation and cleanup operations performed by Philips Electronics North America Corporation (PENAC).
- In 2012, PENAC completed an on-site interim measure (IM) utilizing electrical resistivity heating (ERH) to recover and treat trichloroethene (TCE) and its associated degradation compounds from soil associated with the former dry well area. A final IM Report was submitted to the Virginia Department of Environmental Quality (DEQ) in May 2013. Any outstanding issues with this area will be addressed as part of the Facility’s final remedy.
- PENAC submitted their final RCRA Facility Investigation (RFI) Report in April 2014. Vapor Intrusion data gaps were identified in the report that PENAC is working to address. Subsequent to the data gaps being filled in the RFI phase of the project, PENAC will be required to complete a Corrective Measures Study (CMS).
- In 2015, PENAC completed the off-site interim measure involving the installation of a water line along River Road to connect residents with potable water wells contaminated with TCE to the Town of Shenandoah water system.
- The Genie Manufacturing facility occupies approximately 13 acres of property located at 611 Williams Avenue in Shenandoah, Virginia. The facility was formerly owned and operated by PENAC and has historically been used to manufacture small electronic components. The facility is now owned by GMI Holdings Inc. and operated by The Genie Company/Overhead Door Corporation, a subsidiary of Sanwa Shutter Corporation where they manufacture parts and control components for automated garage door openers.
- PENAC continues to manage Corrective Action activities in accordance with the EPA Facility Lead Program and DEQ Consent Order (CO), dated May 12, 2001. Also associated with Corrective Action for this facility is an adjacent property where hazardous materials were handled, known as the KVK Property.
- On September 1, 2009, DEQ completed an evaluation of available information and issued “YES” determinations for the “Current Human Exposures Under Control” Environmental Indicators (EIs) and the “Migration of Contaminated Groundwater Under Control” EI in accordance with the Government Performance and Results Act (GPRA).
- In 2012, The Genie Company terminated its manufacturing operations at the Facility and PENAC completed the ERH IM at the former dry well location on site. An IM Report was submitted to DEQ. Any outstanding issues will be addressed as part of the Facility’s final remedy.
- The primary contaminant of concern (COC) based on past operations is TCE and its associated degradation compounds as well as benzene, toluene, ethyl benzene, and xylene (BTEX) associated with a former underground storage tank (UST).
- Impacts include soil contamination on-site and contaminated groundwater on-site and off-site. Soil contamination on-site at the former drywell location has been reduced significantly by the ERH IM. However, some residual low level concentrations of TCE still remain and will be addressed by the Facility’s final remedy.
- No impacts to air, surface water, or sediments were identified during the environmental investigations.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [44 pp, 165 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [9 pp, 29 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
Virginia Department of Environmental Quality
P.O. Box 1105
Richmond, VA 23218
Phone: (804) 698-4219
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Genie Manufacturing Facility||Genie Manufacturing Site Map [1 page, 449 KB, About PDF]|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- PENAC maintains a general factsheet and facility mailing list that includes interested parties in addition to adjacent landowners, regulatory agency representatives, and Town of Shenandoah officials. Upon significant program determinations related to investigations and/or corrective measures/IM implementation, PENAC issues an updated factsheet to persons on the facility mailing list and may issue a public notice.
- This facility is not currently used, but is intended for future industrial use.
- The DEQ and EPA are dedicated to providing with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact DEQ Project Manager Kurt Kochan at (703) 583-3825 or EPA Project Manager Mike Jacobi at (215) 814-3435.