Factory Grinding Services
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Griff Miller
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
The final decision of Corrective Action Complete without Controls became effective July 1, 2015 after a 30-day public comment period. No further action is required to make the facility suitable for any type of land use.
An Environmental Indicator inspection was performed at the facility in July 2011 that summarized prior operations and investigations that occurred throughout the facility’s history. Several areas of concern were identified in the EI inspection. Each of these areas was properly closed in 1996 in accordance with a PADEP-approved closure plan. Present operations at the facility are unrelated to past operations and are non-hazardous. EPA determined that both environmental indicators were met in September 2013.
Capital Lubricants Company, operating across the street at 569 Industrial Drive, purchased the 2.5-acre facility in 1985 for the parts washing division of their company. The facility had previously been used as a distribution center for a paper company since 1972. In 1991, Capital Lubricants Company sold their parts washing division, and the facility was renamed Capital Parts Washers. The facility continued to reclaim solvents, paint thinner, and carburetor cleaner primarily for the automotive service industry until 1996, when the facility ceased operations and was properly closed under PADEP oversight. In 1997, the facility was purchased by East Coast Food Equipment (also known as Factory Grinding Services), a distributor of food service products.
Primary contaminants at the facility include volatile organic compounds from prior solvent reclamation activities and leaks from underground storage tanks. Soil and groundwater had been impacted by these contaminants; however, remedial efforts coupled with the PADEP-approved closure of the facility suggest that contamination has been reduced to acceptable levels.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Final Decision & Response to Comments [ 2 pp, 110 KB, about pdf]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [ 10 pp, 1.41 MB, about pdf]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [6 pp, 264 KB, about pdf]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [7 pp, 306 KB, about pdf]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Factory Grinding Services|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- Since 1997 the facility has been used by Factory Grinding Services as a food service product distribution center and a cutlery grinding service center.