Safety Kleen Corp.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Kevin Bilash
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-2796
- EPA Region 3 has determined that Corrective Action is complete and no land use controls are required (Corrective Action Complete without Controls) for the Facility. A public notice was posted in The Bucks County Courier Times newspaper on June 12, 2009 and was followed by a thirty (30)-day comment period that ended on July 12, 2009. The Final Decision and Response to Comments became effective July 16, 2009.
- The Environmental Indicators (EIs) were completed on June 18, 2009. The two EIs are called "Current Human Exposures Under Control" and "Migration of Contaminated Groundwater Under Control." The EIs completed reflect the decision of Corrective Action Complete without Controls and have status codes of "Yes, Under Control" for both.
- The Facility was located at Building PP 9, River Road, Tullytown Borough, Bucks County, Pennsylvania. The Facility was a leased building on an approximately 0.5 acre of land. The Facility operated from May 1974 to April 1992. When operational, the Facility was a transfer station for the distribution of fresh solvent products and collection of used solvent wastes. Used mineral spirits were stored in a 12,000-gallon underground storage tank (UST). The on- and off-loading of fresh and used mineral spirits occurred at a return/fill dock area (wet dumpster). And a storage area for waste-containing drums was located in an aboveground brick building.
- Some concentrations of contaminants will remain in the groundwater at the Facility above levels appropriate for residential and domestic uses. In the event that a well were to be installed, the Bucks County Department of Health requires water analysis under it Rules And Regulations Governing Individual Residential Water Supply Systems And Construction Specifications which became effective March 1, 2007. The regulations will prevent exposure to Chlorobenzene if wells are installed in the proximity of the Facility. Groundwater use in this area is unlikely however since, even though it is not an ordinance or restriction, the Borough of Tullytown strongly discourages the installation of drinking water wells based on a conversation with the Borough Coordinator on March 17, 2009. Considering these conditions together, EPA has determined that the concentrations of the contaminant remaining in the groundwater does not pose a threat to human health or the environment.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 23 KB, About ]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 30 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis[PDF, 6 pages, 40 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Safety Kleen Corp.Tullytown PA|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Kevin Bilash (215) 814-2796.