Superior Tube Company
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Khai M. Dao
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency - Region III
1650 Arch Street
Mail code: 3LC30
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Phone: (215) 814-5467
Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection
Ms. Camelia Draghiciu
WM, Engineering Services Section
2 East Main St.
Norristown, PA 19401
Phone: (484) 250-5743
- The primary substance of concern at the site is trichloroethylene (TCE), a solvent that is used as a degreaser at the facility. A release of approximately 1,800 gallons of TCE occurred in 1979 when TCE was accidentally released from a carbon steel pipeline located in a shipping dock floor trench. Following the incident, contaminated surface water and soil were removed and the piping was replaced. The spill event led to the installation of additional groundwater recovery wells and air strippers to treat the groundwater.
- On December 28, 1998, STC agreed to implement remediation pursuant to the Corrective Measures Implementation Consent Order. The remediation consisted of soil excavation, groundwater pump and treat, in-situ soil vapor extraction, and closures of solid wastes management units. The remediation was completed in 2003. Presently, STC monitors and remediates groundwater to ensure that human health and the environment continue to be protected.
- In 2007, the Pennsylvania Department of Environmental Protection (PADEP) has been conducting an air monitoring program in the Collegeville-Trappe area. In the data collected so far, PADEP found higher than average annual concentrations of TCE which has a significant bearing on excess lifetime cancer risks. PADEP is pursuing voluntary emission reductions from TCE-emitting facilities in the area while continuing to monitor the air. For more information, please contact Francine Carlini, Air Program Manager for the PADEP Southeast Office at (484) 250-5920 or Lynda Rebarchak, PADEP Southeast Office Community Relations Coordinator at (484) 250-5820. An official PADEP news release on the study's findings can be found by following this link. <
- Furthermore, volatile organic compounds (VOCs) have been detected in the groundwater in the immediate area of triangle formed by Germantown Pike, Evansburg Road, and Ridge Pike and the area south including Pechin Mill and Cross Keys Roads. The PADEP, and the Montgomery County Health Department are conducting additional groundwater sampling of residential and commercial wells in this area. In addition, groundwater data and other investigative data will be evaluated to determine the source of the VOC contamination. For additional information relating to the groundwater sampling please contact David Ewald at PA DEP at 484-250-5725.
- Superior Tube Company (STC) is a specialty tube manufacturer located in Lower Providence Township, Montgomery County, Pennsylvania, at the intersection of Germantown Pike and Cross Keys Road. The 96-acre site is situated along the French Run, a tributary of Perkiomen Creek. Since 1935, STC has manufactured specialty cold drawn, precision tubing and tubular parts. The principal operations at the facility include drawing, welding, degreasing, pickling, annealing, cutting, forming, grinding, polishing, coating, and sandblasting metal tubing.
- The primary substance of concern at the site is trichloroethylene (TCE), a solvent that is used as a degreaser at the facility.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 6 pages, 25 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater Migration [PDF, 8 pages, 32 KB, About PDF]
- Explanation of Significant Differences to Corrective Action Final Decision [PDF, 6 pages, 4732 KB, About PDF]
- Documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|Superior Tube Company||Superior Tube GeoSpatial PDF Map [PDF, 1119 KB, 1 page, About PDF]|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo or GeoSpatial PDF Map )
- The site is under continued use and also has a reused parcel .
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact EPA Project Manager: Mr. Khai M. Dao(215) 814-5467.