Rockwood Pigments NA, Inc.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Office of Remediation, LCD
US EPA Region 3
- Cleanup Status :
Corrective Action Underway
- Human Exposure Controls:
To Be Assessed
- Groundwater Controls :
To Be Assessed
- RCRA Corrective Action activities at this facility are being conducted under the direction of EPA Region 3 with assistance from the Maryland Department of the Environment (MDE). Rockwood Pigments NA, Inc. (Rockwood) entered the Facility Lead Program on August 19, 2005. In accordance with the Facility Lead Agreement, Rockwood submitted a Work Plan/Phase I Site Characterization Report on December 1, 2005. EPA/MDE approved the work plan, and the investigation began in the summer of 2008. A report documenting the results of this investigation was submitted in October 2008. The next phase of the investigation was partially completed in the summer of 2015, but has been delayed as the facility attempts to secure an access agreement to install a monitoring well on a nearby property.
Rockwood Pigments, formerly operating under the names Laporte Pigments and Mineral Pigments, operates a pigment manufacturing facility, located approximately two miles north of Beltsville, Maryland. The site is bordered to the west by US Route 1 and the Chessie Railroad tracks; to the east by Conway Road; to the north by Muirkirk Road, and to the south by a light industrial park. Records indicate that the site has been used for industrial purposes since at least the 1940s. The facility activities include the manufacturing of zinc phosphate and the milling and blending of iron oxides. Shallow groundwater at the site has been investigated since 1985 under MDE supervision. Two source areas were removed under MDE supervision in the 1980s and 1990s. The primary contaminant of concern at the site is chromium in groundwater.
- The primary contaminant of concern at the site is chromium in groundwater.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Factsheet [2pp, 24 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Leonard Hotham (215) 814-5778.