Wayne Division Dresser Equipment Group
Formerly: Dresser Industries, Inc.
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Ms. Diane Schott
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
Mail Stop: 3LC20
1650 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
Maryland Department of Environment
Mr. Ed Hammerberg
1800 Washington Boulevard
Baltimore, MD 21230
Phone: (410) 537-3356
- The Facility is a former manufacturing facility that is currently owned by Dresser RE, LLC, a subsidiary of Dresser, Inc. (collectively “Dresser”).
- In 2004, based on the results of investigations and available information, EPA determined that priority environmental indicators for current human exposures under control and for migration of contaminated groundwater under control were met.
- On November 30, 2015, new information submitted to EPA showed additional information is needed to demonstrate that the environmental indicator for “migration of contaminated groundwater under control” continues to be attained.
- Work since 2004 has focused on conducting investigations of environmental conditions and implementing interim measures as discussed below.
- In 2009 and 2010, Dresser dismantled and razed all structures at the Facility. Following demolition of buildings, Dresser removed subsurface structures, including subsurface pipes wrapped with covered asbestos, foundations and other subsurface features.
- Since completion of the demolition process, additional impacts to soil and groundwater have been identified and DII (the successor of a former owner of the Facility) has voluntarily conducted additional investigation activities, pursuant to certain contractual obligations with Dresser, to evaluate the Facility for the presence and extent of contamination, including polychlorinated biphenyls (“PCBs”) found in certain surface and subsurface soils, mineral spirits observed as a light non-aqueous phase liquid (“LNAPL”) in certain subsurface soils and monitoring wells screened across the water table, and hexavalent chromium detected in soils and groundwater beneath the Facility.
- DII is currently implementing or has implemented various interim corrective measures to address certain conditions at the Facility. The interim corrective measures include: (1) batch extraction of groundwater containing hexavalent chromium; (2) in situ groundwater treatment to remove hexavalent chromium from groundwater; (3) removal of LNAPL from monitoring wells with recoverable amounts of LNAPL; and (4) removal of impacted soils from certain areas at the Facility, including soils that contain chromium and PCBs.
- DII is presently evaluating options for conducting additional characterization and remediation activities at the Facility.
- DII has agreed to submit a report to EPA when it has completed ongoing characterization and remediation activities. DII is keeping EPA informed of its ongoing activities through regular progress reports and other submissions.
- Dresser anticipates transferring ownership of the Facility to an affiliate of the Salisbury University Real Estate Foundation.
- Industrial operations took place at the Facility from approximately 1938 until 2001. The former manufacturing plant initially may have operated as a machine shop, but it is primarily known for its manufacture of fuel dispensing pumps for both domestic and international markets. Hoists for trucks and buses were also manufactured at the facility for a limited period of time. During the history of operations at the Facility, various wastes were reportedly generated including wastewater treatment effluent and sludge; used petroleum hydrocarbons; spent solvents from equipment cleaning; paint-based solids and sludge; and corrosive liquids and sludge from metal pre-treatment and coating operations.
- In approximately 2001, the Facility was transferred to Dresser. An affiliate of the Salisbury University Real Estate Foundation has since agreed to purchase the Facility, subject to certain closing conditions.
- A parcel of land located on the north side of West College Avenue was historically used as a parking lot for employees. In the late 1990s, that parcel was sold and redeveloped as a shopping center. That parcel is not part of the current investigation activities.
- Beginning in 2001, DII has conducted investigations of soil, groundwater, and soil gas. The investigations have centered largely on key features and chemicals associated with former operations, including gasoline, gasoline components, surrogates for gasoline used in the testing of the dispensing pumps (i.e., mineral spirits), diesel fuel, solvents, and metals. Impacted soils, impacted groundwater and over 25 tanks have been removed from the Facility. As described above, DII has implemented various interim corrective measures at the Facility. Dresser has completed demolition and removal of all buildings and structures at the Facility.
- Gasoline, diesel fuel, solvents, mineral spirits, PCBs, and metals are associated with the Facility. Various historical releases occurred in connection with the use and handling of petroleum products (e.g., waste oil and mineral spirits) and other volatile organic compounds (“VOCs”). A chlorinated solvents (tetrachloroethylene and and trichloroethylene), metals (hexavalent chromium and lead), and petroleum constituents (benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, trimethylbenzene, and naphthalene) have been detected in groundwater beneath the Facility. An area of LNAPL consisting of mineral spirits has been observed in on-site soils and certain monitoring wells in the northern portion of the Facility. PCBs which were detected and delineated in on-site soils have been removed. Asbestos was used to insulate subsurface pipes. The asbestos, which Dresser removed in accordance with applicable regulations as part of the demolition process, was covered with an external jacket. No releases of asbestos to the environment have been observed.
EPA anticipates that it will require the implementation of institutional controls as part of its final remedy for the Facility.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [8pp, 149KB, About PDF]
- Other relevant documents are:
- December 1989 - Environmental Priorities Initiative Preliminary Assessment Report
- April 1994 - Site Investigation Report
- December 2000 - Phase I and Limited Phase II Environmental Site Assessment Report
- January 2003 - Expanded Investigation Report
- November2002– OSWER Draft Guidance Evaluating the Vapor Intrusion to Indoor Air Pathway from Groundwater and Soils (Subsurface Vapor Intrusion Guidance)
- June 2003 - Phase I and II Environmental Site Assessment Report (prepared for a prospective purchaser)
- November 2003 - Additional Investigation Report
- February 2004 - Report of Tank Activities
- August 2004 – Groundwater Sampling Report
- September 2004 – Exhibit A, Environmental Indicator CA750 Submission, Groundwater Modeling Report
- September 2006 - Final Report of the Soil Gas Survey, Soil and Groundwater Results
- June 2007 – Underground Storage Tank (UST) Submission Letter to MDE
- July 2011 - Work Plan for the In-Situ Chemical Reduction of Chromium-Impacted Ground Water at the Dresser, Inc. Facility 124 W. College Avenue, Salisbury, Maryland
- February 2013 – LNAPL Source Summary Report
- July 2014 - PCB Soil ICM Workplan
- September 2014 - Response to EPA Comments to PCB Soil ICM Workplan
- 2011 to present - Periodic status reports describing activities conducted at the Site since submittal of the prior status report
- November 2015 Site Wide Groundwater Characterization Report
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- An affiliate of the Salisbury University Real Estate Foundation has agreed to purchase the portion of the Facility where the former manufacturing plant was located and properties to the east and south which are currently leased to Salisbury University and used as parking lots.
- A parcel of land located on the north side of West College Avenue that was historically used as a parking lot for employees was sold in the late 1990s and has been redeveloped as a shopping center.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager:Ms. Diane Schott (215)-814-3430.