US Naval Support Activity - Bethesda
(Formerly: National Naval Medical Center -NNMC)
On This Page
EPA Project Manager
Mr. Bill Wentworth 3LC20
U.S. Environmental Protection Agency Region 3
1650 Arch Street
Philadelphia, PA 19103-2029
On November 21, 2000, EPA issued a Permit to the National Naval Medical Center (NNMC) for corrective action and waste minimization based on the authorities of the Resource Conservation and Recovery Act (RCRA) as amended by the Hazardous and Solid Waste Amendments of 1984 (HSWA). The Permit requires proper management of hazardous materials and a RCRA Facility Investigation (RFI). The purpose of the RFI is to determine the extent of releases of hazardous waste and/or constituents at the facility. The RFI will include an environmental investigation of the Solid Waste Management Units (SWMUs) and Areas of Concern (AOCs) at the site. EPA has approved the NNMC Interim Measures report for remediation of onsite contaminants at AOC #1 and AOC #12. EPA has received and reviewed the Priority One Interim RFI Report of the environmental investigation. EPA approved the ecological risk assessment on March 6, 2007. Approval was also granted for the Priority III Project Plan.
The Draft-Final RCRA Facility Investigation Report was submitted on August 15, 2008 and EPA provided comments on February 18, 2011. A meeting was held with NNMC to discuss EPA comments on March 15, 2011. On May 5, 2011, EPA issued a letter to NNMC concurring with the conclusion given in the RFI report that no further action is required for 12 SWMUs and AOCs. EPA also completed its review of the AOC 4 UST Excavation Report and granted approval for no further action in a letter to NNMC on May 11, 2011.
During BRAC construction in the area of Gate 5 debris was discovered. During excavation approximately 30 roll-off containers (~943 tons) of soil which included tires, drums and crushed 5-gallon pails were removed. Confirmatory samples were taken.
EPA issued a Statement of Basis for no further investigation or cleanup for SWMUs 4, 5, 6, 8, 9, 12, 13, 14, 15, 16, 18, 21, 25, 28, 34 and AOCs 1,7, 8, and 12; concurrently EPA is issuing a draft permit for the further investigation of the remaining 10 SWMUs and 5 AOCs at the Facililty. The public notice was issued June 19, 2013 and the public comment period ends on August 5, 2013.
The Naval Support Activity Bethesda was issued a permit effective September 25, 2013 to address the remaining SWMUs and AOCs.
Additional work completed since the issuance of the new permit has determined that no further work is necessary at SWMUs 1, 23, 32, and 33. Also, no further work is required at AOCs 2 and 11.
The 243-acre federal facility, formally known as the Naval Medical Command National Capital Region, is now known as the National Naval Medical Center (NNMC), Bethesda, MD. NNMC is a large hospital, laboratory and medical research facility which generates various waste streams. The facility is located in Bethesda, Montgomery County, Maryland within the Washington D.C. metropolitan area.
NNMC consist of 35 SWMUs and 12 AOCs. Chemicals of concern include tetrachloroethane, trichloroethane and benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene which have been detected in the background studies. The RCRA Facility Investigation of the site will determine the nature and extent of contaminants at the SWMUs and Areas of Concerns. EPA will evaluate the datagathered during the RFI and determine if clean-up measures are necessary to protect human health and the environment.
- Chemicals of concern include tetrachloroethane, trichloroethane and benzene, toluene, ethylbenzene, and xylene which have been detected in the background studies.
- Some of the site’s key documents of interest are accessible below:
- Corrective Action Final Decision & Response to Comments - for 15 SMUs and 5 AOCs [PDF, 30 pages, 1276 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Final Permit [PDF, 26 pages, 1265 KB, About PDF]
- Corrective Action Statement of Basis [PDF, 15 pages, 850 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Human Exposures [PDF, 10 pages, 155 KB, About PDF]
- Environmental Indicator Determination - Groundwater [PDF, 9 pages, 162 KB, About PDF]
- All documents and reports regarding this facility also can be reviewed in person at these locations:
U.S. EPA Region III
Land & Chemicals Division - RCRA
1650 Arch Street-11th Floor
Philadelphia, PA 19103
Call for an appointment.
- Submit a FOIA Request
Get instructions on how to submit a FOIA request. Additional fee for requests over 100 pages.
|US Naval SUpport Activity Bethesda|
Click on a thumbnail to enlarge the photo)
- The facility is under continued use.
- The EPA is dedicated to providing you with timely and accurate information about our work at this site. If you have any questions or concerns, please contact the EPA Project Manager: Mr. Bill Wentworth (215) 814-3184.