State and Local Transportation Resources
Transportation Conformity Training and Presentations
EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality (OTAQ) has provided multiple conformity training sessions in the past to assist state and local governments in implementing conformity requirements. As training information is prepared for other venues, it will be posted on this page.
- Project-Level Training for Quantitative PM Hot-Spot Analyses. EPA and DOT have developed a three-day training course on implementing EPA’s "Transportation Conformity Guidance for Quantitative Hot-spot Analyses in PM2.5 and PM10 Nonattainment and Maintenance Areas." This technical, hands-on course is geared toward state and local agency staff and will focus on using emission models (including EPA's MOVES model) and air quality models (AERMOD and CAL3QHCR) to complete quantitative PM hot-spot analyses.
- MOVES (Motor Vehicle Emission Simulator) training
The U.S. Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) and the Federal Highway Administration (FHWA) have developed a two-day training course for MOVES. This is a detailed, two-day, hands-on course geared toward state and local agency staff who will use MOVES for developing SIPs and regional conformity analyses. We are offering a shorter web-based course for people interested in a general overview of MOVES; more information about web-based training will be posted soon.
- National Transit Institute’s Introduction to Transportation Conformity
This course presents basic information about conformity requirements and the relationship of the transportation and air quality planning processes in order to prepare agency staff (federal, state, and local) to participate in interagency and consultation and work effectively in implementing conformity requirements. This course was developed by the FTA and FHWA in consultation with EPA.
- Air Pollution Training Institute training page
This APTI training page provides links to on-demand video training materials, self-instructed courses, and webinars related air quality and conformity. For materials related to transportation conformity, go to Air Quality Planning for New Non-Attainment Areas.
- Overview of the PM Hot-spot Requirements and Guidance for Transportation Conformity (PDF) (34pp, 1.4M, January, 2012) This presentation, given at the January 2012 TRB annual conference, provides background on project-level conformity requirements, an overview of EPA's PM Hot-spot Guidance, and EPA and DOT PM hot-spot training opportunities.
- Conformity 101 Overview(PDF) (53 pp, 240K, August 2010) This presentation provides an overview of transportation conformity, links for additional information, and quizzes to check general knowledge.
Contact: Astrid Terry at 734-214-4812 or firstname.lastname@example.org