Transportation and Air Quality
- What is the federally mandated warranty for emission controls on my car?
- Why is there ethanol in gasoline?
- Does the fuel used in fuel economy testing contain ethanol?
What's New in OTAQ
OTAQ Recent Additions
- September 30: SmartWay announces the release of its 2015 SmartWay Shipper Tool, which utilizes shippers' carrier data from the 2014 calendar year to allow them to assess their environmental performance.
- September 18: EPA issued a notice of violation of the Clean Air Act to Volkswagen North America and Volkswagen GmbH.
- August 31: SmartWay webinar: 2015 SmartWay Shipper Tool Demonstration Webinar will take place on October 14th at 2:00pm Eastern Time.
OTAQ Press Releases
- September 28, 2015: EPA Announces $7 Million in Funding to Reduce Diesel Emissions from School Buses
- September 25, 2015: EPA Update on Recent Volkswagen Announcement
- September 25, 2015: 10:00 AM EDT TODAY: EPA To Provide Update Following Recent Volkswagen Announcement
OTAQ Federal Register Notices
- September 21, 2015: Information Collection Request Submitted to OMB for Review and Approval; Comment Request; Data Reporting Requirements for State and Local Vehicle Emission Inspection and Maintenance (I/M) Programs
- September 8, 2015: Greenhouse Gas Emissions and Fuel Efficiency Standards for Medium- and Heavy-Duty Engines and Vehicles--Phase 2
- August 25, 2015: Agency Information Collection Activities; Submission to OMB for Review and Approval; Comment Request; Diesel Emissions Reduction Act (DERA) Rebate Program; EPA ICR No. 2461.02, OMB Control No. 2060-0686 RENEWAL
EPA's Office of Transportation and Air Quality protects public health and the environment by regulating air pollution from motor vehicles, engines, and the fuels used to operate them, and by encouraging travel choices that minimize emissions. These "mobile sources" include cars and light trucks, heavy trucks and buses, nonroad engines, equipment, and vehicles. For more information see:
- About the Office of Transportation and Air Quality (OTAQ)
- About the National Vehicle and Fuel Emissions Laboratory (NVFEL)
OTAQ's top sites
OTAQ's programs and website topics (A detailed list of programs and topics is on our site map.)
Overview:Pollutants & Programs
Information on how much air pollution, air toxics, and greenhouse gases are emitted by mobile sources, the programs OTAQ has undertaken to control these emissions, and the impact of those programs on air quality and climate change.
On-Road Vehicles & Engines
Information about fuel economy, emission standards and regulations, emission recall, certification and compliance, inspection and maintenance, diesel retrofit, evaluating the benefits of inventions designed to reduce emissions, and importing vehicles and engines.
Nonroad Engines, Equipment
Information about nonroad engines, equipment and vehicles: emission standards and regulations, certification and compliance, and diesel retrofit programs.
- Diesel Boats & Ships
- Gasoline Boats & Personal Watercraft
- Nonroad Diesel Equipment
- Forklifts, Generators & Compressors
- Lawn & Garden
- Snowmobiles, Dirt Bikes, & ATVs
Fuels & Fuel Additives
State & Local Transportation
Modeling, Testing, & Research
Information on modeling and inventories for estimating emissions from highway vehicles, nonroad sources, and fuels; testing and measuring emissions; research into clean automotive technologies; and emission factors research.