Basic & Consumer Information
Efforts by EPA to Implement the Heavy-Duty Highway Diesel Program
Since the standards were finalized in 2001, EPA has worked to ensure a smooth transition. EPA has sponsored workshops and technology review panels, and issued progress reports and technical amendments to the standards. In late 2005, EPA began working with the Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance, a group of more than 20 industry, government and consumer organizations. The Alliance will provide information on the benefits of ULSD and cleaner-burning diesel cars, trucks and buses. For more information about the Clean Diesel Fuel Alliance, see http://www.clean-diesel.org.
On this page you will find basic and consumer information about the Highway Diesel Rule (the "2007 Highway Rule") heavy-duty engines, and diesel fuel.
NOTE: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
- Rollout of Cleaner-Burning Diesel Fuel Enables Advanced Pollution Control for Cars, Trucks, and Buses (PDF) (3 pp, 233K, EPA420-F-06-064, October 2006)
- Heavy-Duty Engine and Vehicle Standards and Highway Diesel Fuel Sulfur Control Requirements (PDF) (4 pp, 120K, EPA 420-F-00-057, December 2000)
- Diesel Exhaust in the United States (PDF) (4 pp, 104K, EPA-420-F-03-022, June 2003)
- What You Should Know About Diesel Exhaust and School Bus Idling (PDF) (2 pp, 574K, EPA420-F-03-021, June 2003)
- Emission Standards Reference Guide for Heavy-duty and Nonroad Engines (PDF) (16 pp, 145K, EPA420-F-97-014, September 1997) This document provides a detailed listing of current and proposed Federal and California standards for model years 1990 and later.
- Heavy-duty Engine Emission Standards for Highway Trucks & Buses (PDF) (3 pp, 15K, EPA420-96-006, June 1996)
- EPA, California Air Resources Board and Manufacturers of Heavy-duty Engines Sign Statement of Principles (EPA420-F-95-010a, July 1995)
- Emission Control Potential for Heavy-duty Diesel Engines (PDF) (2 pp, 10K, EPA420-F-97-015, May 1997)
- Motor Vehicles and the 1990 Clean Air Act (PDF) (7 pp, 40K, EPA400-F-92-013, August 1994)
- Milestones in Auto Emissions Control (PDF) (3 pp, 64K, EPA400-F-92-014, August 1994)