Cars and Light Trucks
Inspection & Maintenance (I/M) - Program Evaluations
NOTE: You will need Adobe Acrobat Reader, available as a free download, to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more about PDF, and for a link to the free Acrobat Reader.
- July 2004, Guidance on the Use of Remote Sensing for Evaluation of I/M Program Performance (PDF) (63 pp, 795K, EPA420-B-04-010, July 2004)
This document is the finalized version of the July 2001 draft. It is intended to provide states with technical guidance on how to perform I/M program evaluations using RSD technology. Note: EPA is currently reviewing one set of comments received on this document that were inadvertently overlooked. We anticipate incorporating any new changes in the Fall of 2002.
- August 2001, Guidance on the Use of in-Program Data for Evaluation of Program Performance (PDF) (90pp, 2.7M, EPA420-P-01-003, August 2001)
The draft guidance document is intended to provide states with technical guidance on how to perform I/M program evaluations using in-program data. Comments were accepted until November 12, 2001.
- July 2001, EPA Equipment Audit Guidelines (PDF) (16 pp, 107K)
These guidelines should be used by states as a comprehensive tool for auditing I/M tailpipe testing equipment.
- July 2001, Audit Forms (PDF) (18pp, 80K)
The forms are to be used with the Equipment Audit Guidelines.
- September 2000, Methodology used for Calculating VMT (PDF) (7 pp, 41K)
The document shows the VMT calculation methodologies used by CARB and can be a useful resource for other states needing to develop VMT calculation methodologies.
- August 2000, Final Transmittal Letter to EPA from CARB (PDF) (23 pp, 117K)
The letter commits CARB to make program enhancements to improve I/M program effectiveness in the SMOG Check II Program.
- August 2000, EPA Response to CARB Letter (PDF) (7pp, 23K)
The letter responds to CARB's commitments to improve SMOG Check II effectiveness.
- June 2000, Smog Check Station Performance (PDF) (38pp, 163K)
The report was contracted by BAR and is based on Roadside test results and was used to evaluate station performance in the SMOG Check II Program.
- February 2000, Roadside Inspection Program in California (PDF) (22 pp, 124K)
The report summarizes the roadside inspection program in California and is a good resource for states wishing to conduct their own roadside inspections.
I/M Test Procedures - I/M Program Evaluation
Read Me provides information on the following documents:
- October 30, 1998 METT Memorandum (PDF) (13pp, 51K)
EPA memo outlining acceptable methods for I/M program evaluations. The memo was noncommittal on the issue of using Remote Sensing as EPA felt additional work was needed to fully understand the benefits and disadvantages of the technique. Toward that end, EPA has been working with the Coordinating Research Council Remote Sensing group to address the Agency's concerns.
- Sierra Report #SR97-11-02: Development of a Proposed Procedure for Determining the
Equivalency of Alternative Inspection and Maintenance Programs (PDF) (66pp, 817K)
This report describes the currently accepted methods outlined in the 10/31/98 METT Memo for performing an IM program evaluation.
- Lawrence Berkley National Laboratory Review of Sierra Report #SR97-11-02 (PDF) (10pp, 121K).
This is a peer review performed by Lawrence Berkeley Laboratories of Sierra Report #SR97-11-02.
- Rothman Review (PDF) (2.4M)
This is a second peer review of Sierra Report #SR97-11-02 performed by Dr. Ed Rothman, Director of the Center for Statistical Consultation and Research, University of Michigan.
- Sierra Report #SR97-11-02: Development of a Proposed Procedure for Determining the Equivalency of Alternative Inspection and Maintenance Programs (PDF) (66pp, 817K)
- Analysis of the AZ IM240 Test Program and Comparison with the Tech5 Model (PDF) 60pp, 2M, EPA420-R-97-001, February 1997)