- Environmental Management Systems (EMS)
- EMS Basic Information
- EMS Training
- EMS Success Stories
- Waste Management Related Initiatives
Effective EMSs help organizations improve their environmental performance. EMSs can be a tool through which organizations reduce their environmental impact and contribute to environmental improvement nationally.
The following success stories demonstrate the potential of EMSs as a way to achieve both individual facility and national goals in the areas of municipal waste recycling, beneficial reuse, electronics recycling, and toxic chemical reduction.
- Jefferson County - Jefferson County, Alabama has an ISO 14001 certified EMS for the Fleet Management, General Services, Risk Management, Central Laundry and Environmental Protection Departments.
- Wisconsin Energy Corporation - Implementation of an EMS at the Wisconsin Energy Corporation's Pleasant Prairie Power Plant allowed it the flexibility to take an innovative approach to address their fuel needs, and reuse materials in the process.
- Acushent Rubber Company D/B/A Precix - Utilizing the structure and tools of an EMS enabled Precix to reduce their consumption of lead and completely eliminate the use of two suspected carcinogens from their production processes.
- Metech International, Inc. - Having an ISO 14001 certified EMS, validates Metech's practices and provides customers the assurance that their end-of-life electronics are being managed in an environmentally sound manner.
Note: EPA no longer updates this information, but it may be useful as a reference or resource.
Links to More Success Stories
Many RCRA-related facilities have successfully implemented EMSs and are reaping the benefits, including resource conservation and better regulatory compliance.
The following case studies detail how six facilities developed and implemented their EMSs to ensure continuous compliance and improved environmental performance.
- CSX Corporation - CSX transportation offers freight transportation covering over 23,000 route miles.
Sintered Components - Metaldyne is a leading global designer and
supplier of low cost, high quality metal-based components, assemblies
and modules for the automotive industry.
- Mott's Aspers Plant - Mott's Aspers Plant is a manufacturing facility that makes juice and apple sauce in addition to packaging other beverages.
- Regional Waste Systems - Regional Waste Systems of Portland, Maine is a nonprofit, municipal owned solid waste management corporation. RWS incinerates waste for energy and operates an extensive recycling program.