Rule Proposed To Reduce Hazardous Waste Record Keeping Requirements
To meet the goals of the Paperwork Reduction Act, the Environmental Protection Agency (EPA) is trying to reduce regulatory burdens associated with the hazardous waste management regulations. "Burden" is defined as the time spent developing and submitting information to federal agencies, and on keeping records.
In June 1999, the Agency asked for suggestions and comments on its ideas for streamlining hazardous waste record keeping and reporting requirements. This proposal results from additional information and comments that were received. In addition to making regulatory requirements more flexible, EPA proposes to:
- Reduce or streamline a third of our reporting and recordkeeping requirements;
- Reduce record retention time;
- Eliminate or streamline Land Disposal Restrictions Notification, Determination, and Certification requirements;
- Streamline RCRA personnel training requirements; and
- Streamline facility self-inspection requirements.