India International Activities
The Global Methane Initiative is an international initiative that advances cost-effective, near-term methane recovery and use as a clean energy source.
You will need Adobe Reader to view some of the files on this page. See EPA's PDF page to learn more.
India is the world's third largest coal producer (358 million tons of bituminous coal in 2001) and relies upon coal for about 60% of its energy needs. The bulk of the country's high rank coal resources (approximately 95%) are located in the Damodar Valley coalfields, the site of the majority of India's mines. Although the coal seams currently being exploited are not very gassy, several of the mines in this region are known to be highly gassy, with gas contents up to 500 cubic feet per ton. Currently, only about 25% of India's total coal production is underground. In recent years, there has been a dramatic increase in surface coal production.
EPA estimates that India's atmospheric coal mine methane (CMM) releases will grow as its coal production increases over time and as deeper, gassier seams are exploited. With its well-established coal mining industry, limited conventional gas resources and anticipated high cost of LNG, CMM has the potential to make a significant impact on the country's energy supply needs.
- Pre-feasibility Study for Coal Mine Methane Recovery at the Sawang Colliery, East Bokaro Coal Field, India (June 2015) (PDF) (104 pp, 9.4MB)
- India CMM Country Profile (June 2015) (PDF) (12 pp, 1.0MB)
More information »
- Coal Initiative Series: Positioning the Indian Coal-Power Sector for Carbon Mitigation: Key Policy Options (January 2009)
- Coal Initiative Series: A Resource and Technology Assessment of Coal Utilization in India (October 2008)
- India Coal Mine/Coalbed (CMM/CBM) Clearinghouse – Established with the India Ministry of Coal and EPA in 2006, the clearinghouse is housed at the Central Mine Planning and Design Institute in Ranchi
- The Federation of Indian Chamber of Commerce and Industry (FICCI) Methane to Markets India portal site – Established to help share information on the Partnership in India.