Agriculture - Air Monitoring
Emissions Monitoring at Animal Feeding Operations (AFOs)
EPA is requesting public comment on improved tools for estimating emissions from animal feeding operations (AFOs). The tools, called emissions estimating methodologies, have been drafted after reviewing data on emissions. Emissions estimating methodologies are commonly used to estimate emissions from industries where site-specific monitoring data are not available.
As it develops the methodologies for AFOs, EPA is examining data from two key sources:
- The National Air Emissions Monitoring Study (NAEMS), a two-year study of emissions from AFOs that raise pigs, broiler chickens, and from egg-laying operations and dairies. The study was funded by the AFO industry as part of the 2005 voluntary air compliance agreement with EPA.
- Data the agency received in response to a Call for Information, seeking additional data on AFOs and emissions to ensure the agency is reviewing the broadest range of available scientific data.
For more information:
Mar 8, 2012 - EPA has made draft emissions estimating methodologies for broiler confinement houses and swine and dairy lagoons/basins available for public comment.
Feb 17, 2012 – EPA has submitted a memorandum with charge questions to SAB.
- Memorandum (PDF) (6pp, 385k)
Feb 9 & 16, 2012 – EPA’s Science Advisory Board has posted the determination memo that lists the members chosen for the Panel.
- Determination Memo (PDF) (9pp, 97k)
Feb 9, 2012 – EPA’s Science Advisory Board has scheduled a public meeting of the Science Advisory Board Animal Feeding Operations Emission Review Panel.
- Meeting materials for the March 14-16, 2012 public meeting of the Science Advisory Board Animal Feeding Operations Emission Review Panel
- SAB’s Animal Feeding Operations Air Emissions Estimation Methodologies
Oct 21, 2011 - EPA's Science Advisory Board has posted a list of nominees to serve on an expert panel to review EPA's statistical analyses and draft emissions estimating methodologies for animal feeding operations.
- List of Nominated Candidates (PDF) (32pp, 432k)
Sep 1, 2011 - EPA is seeking peer review from the EPA Science Advisory Board review of its statistical analyses and draft emissions estimating methodologies for animal feeding operations.
- Request for review (PDF) (2pp, 146k)
Jan 13, 2011 - EPA makes data available from National Air Emissions Monitoring Study; seeks additional data and information.